New Portal Enabling Agent Onboarding in Minutes ⏱️ | Read about how Senior Life streamlined agent onboarding!

AgentSync State Resources

North Dakota Insurance Licensing and Compliance Resources

Contact Hero Image

State License Division Information

North Dakota Insurance Department
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Phone: (701) 328-2440
Fax: (701) 328-4880

Non Resident Licensing Information: North Dakota Non-Resident Producer License Information

For Carriers in North Dakota

  • Drastically reduce time to sell

  • Automatically Sync active agent records with NIPR

  • Reduce time to activate Agents with seamless onboarding experience

For Agencies in North Dakota

  • Import the agent record from the NIPR PDB (Producer Database) in real time

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

For MGAs/MGUs in North Dakota

  • Let technology help manage your distribution channel with contracting, licensing, appointments, & compliance solutions.

  • Basic setup completed in days, not months

  • Submit appointments in a few clicks


Depending on what type of insurance agent you want to be or what types of policies you need to sell, you will need to choose what type or types of insurance licenses you need to get. After you’ve determined which licenses you need, it’s time to begin studying for the North Dakota insurance exams. The next step after completing all of your pre-license coursework or self-study is to take the insurance exam. You will take one exam for each line of insurance you wish to carry.

North Dakota requires that all insurance license applications provide fingerprints prior to licensing. Giving your fingerprints will initiate a background check. If you have any prior misdemeanors or felonies, this may affect the outcome of your licensing efforts. After passing your exams and fingerprinting, the next step is to apply for your license. If you have more than one line of authority that you passed the test for, be sure to apply for all of those lines. Once you have submitted your application and have filled all the other requirements, your license application will be reviewed by the state. Your background check will also be reviewed.

For more information, call the Department of Insurance at (701) 328-2440 or email the Insurance Department.

The state of North Dakota does not offer a Resident Insurance Adjuster License and does not require a license to practice insurance claims adjusting within the state.

In the state of North Dakota, all individual insurance licenses expire on a biennial basis (meaning every two (2) years. Additionally, every individual insurance producer must complete a renewal application within 90 days of their license expiration date and pay a $25 fee by the last day of their birth month.

Please note: if your license is not renewed before the expiration date, your license and appointments will be canceled.

Furthermore, North Dakota requires that all resident individual licensees complete twenty-four (24) credit hours of continuing education every two-year licensing period. Three (3) hours of which must be in the subject of ethics.

Your record must show compliance with continuing education requirements. Issuers have 15 days from course completion to file the credits with the North Dakota Insurance Department; courses are taken less than 15 days before the expiration date may not be credited in license renewal. After you have completed your continuing education and you are within 90 days of your license expiration, you may renew your North Dakota insurance license online or via paper application. AgentSync can also help with the renewal process. 

Every individual insurance producer license must be renewed biennially by the last day of their birth month. In the state of North Dakota, there is no grace period after the due date; meaning that if your license has not been renewed before the expiration date, your license and appointments will be canceled.

The National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) can be used to submit a non-resident renewal application. The filing fee is $25 (which can be paid by credit card or electronic check). Filing your license renewal electronically will also require a $5 transaction fee which must be paid along with the North Dakota filing fee. AgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

North Dakota does not license insurance adjusters. For North Dakota residents who want to become a licensed independent adjuster, we recommend obtaining a nononresident designated home state (DHS) license.

Non-Resident applicants must be licensed for the same license type and lines of authority to be eligible for online submission. Additionally, Non-Resident Adjusters in Nevada are only required to complete the Continuing Education (CE) requirements of their DHS.

There is a $25 renewal fee, this fee can be paid via the NIPR.

For more information, contact the North Dakota Insurance Department.

North Dakota is one of 16 states that do not license insurance adjusters. This means you can legally adjust claims in your state without a license, but only in said state.

To adjust in the state of North Dakota, you will need to obtain a Designated Home State (DHS) license. You will go through that state’s (North Dakota or otherwise) licensing process, testing, and compliance regulations and their license will act as your resident, or home state license.

If youre looking to become an insurance adjuster in a non-licensing state like North Dakota, the Florida 70-20 DHS License is the next best thing for the following reasons:
The state offers the quickest turnaround time after you submit your documents.
The Florida 70-20 license is reciprocal with most states.
A Florida DHS license is good for 4 years.

This is not to say this is the only way to obtain a DHS license, it is simply the easiest. Many of the licensing states offer DHS licenses. So be sure to do additional research to find the best fit.

For more information, contact the North Dakota Insurance Department.

*State specific rules and regulations can change. Please be sure to visit NIPR or the state’s website for the latest information.