New Portal Enabling Agent Onboarding in Minutes ⏱️ | Read about how Senior Life streamlined agent onboarding!

AgentSync State Resources

Colorado Insurance Licensing and Compliance Resources

Contact Hero Image

Colorado State License Division Information

Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, Colorado 80202
Phone: (303) 894-7499
Fax: (303) 894-7693

Non Resident Licensing Information: NAIC Colorado Licensing Information

For Carriers in Colorado

  • Drastically reduce time to sell

  • Automatically Sync active agent records with NIPR

  • Reduce time to activate Agents with seamless onboarding experience

For Agencies in Colorado

  • Import the agent record from the NIPR PDB (Producer Database) in real time

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

For MGAs/MGUs in Colorado

  • Let technology help manage your distribution channel with contracting, licensing, appointments, & compliance solutions.

  • Basic setup completed in days, not months

  • Submit appointments in a few clicks


The first step in getting your insurance license is determining what type of insurance agent you want to be, or what types of policies you need to sell. That will help you figure out what type, or types, of insurance licenses you need to get. Then, it’s time to begin studying. After completing all of your pre-license coursework or self-study you’ll need to take your insurance exam. You’ll take one exam for each line of insurance you wish to carry.

In Colorado,  Life, Accident, & Health (LA&H) and Property & Casualty (P&C) are a total of four lines. Pearson Vue in Colorado offers these four exams in two “back to back” exams, so you will essentially take four tests, but if you pass them on your first try, you will only have to sit for exams twice. This option does not shorten the exams, but it does allow you to save the fee for one exam sitting.

Once you have completed your exams, you are now ready to apply for your license. If you have more than one line of authority that you have passed the exam for, be sure to apply for all of those lines. Once you have submitted your application and have filled all the other requirements, your license application will be reviewed by the state. Your background check will also be reviewed.

The State of Colorado does not offer a Resident Insurance Adjuster License and does not require a license to practice insurance claims adjusting within the state.

The State of Colorado requires that resident individual licensees complete twenty-four (24) credit hours of continuing education every two year renewal period. Three (3) of those hours must be in the subject of ethics, eighteen (18) in major lines and three (3) in miscellaneous coursework. Credits cannot include the same course taken repeatedly in one reporting period.

If you have a producer license in more than one line of authority (ex. Property & Casualty and Life & Health), you don’t need to complete double the hours.

You may take your continuing education courses either in person in a classroom setting or online as a self-paced course. The online courses usually require a reading, then a test at the end. When you complete these courses, the company where you took the course should send the certificate of completion directly to the state. You should still print a copy of this certificate to keep in your records just in case there is a dispute later.

After you have completed your continuing education and you are within 90 days of your license expiration, you may renew your Colorado insurance license online. AgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

There is a fee of $29 per line of authority to renew your license.

Once this process is complete, your license will be renewed and your new expiration date will be two years from your previous expiration date.

Unlike resident producers, non-resident licensees who comply with the continued education (CE) requirements of their resident state are exempt from taking additional Colorado CE.

Additionally, all non-residents who satisfy the Annuity training requirements of another state that are similar to Colorado’s law will be deemed compliant for Colorado’s requirement.

You may renew your non-resident insurance license online. There is a fee of $29 per line of authority to renew your license. AgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

Colorado continues a non-resident adjuster license to individuals for two (2) years. Licenses expire based upon the last day of birth month biennially – Colorado offers no grace period. Reinstatements of license are considered a new application and will need to be processed through NIPRs Non-Resident Adjuster License application.

Non-residents should re-verify their lines of authority with this resident state prior to submitting an application for non-resident license with Colorado.

There is a $43.00 fee to renew your Colorado Non-Resident Adjuster license. You can renew your Colorado license through NIPR.

For more information, contact the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies – Division of Insurance.

Colorado is one of 16 states that do not license insurance adjusters. This means you can legally adjust claims in your state without a license, but only in said state.

To adjust in the state of Colorado, you will need to obtain a Designated Home State (DHS) license. You will go through that state’s (Colorado or otherwise) licensing process, testing, and compliance regulations and their license will act as your resident, or home state license.

If you’re looking to become an insurance adjuster in a non-licensing state like Colorado, the Florida 70-20 DHS License is the next best thing for the following reasons:

  • The state offers the quickest turnaround time after you submit your documents.
  • The Florida 70-20 license is reciprocal with most states.
  • A Florida DHS license is good for 4 years.

This is not to say this is the only way to obtain a DHS license, it is simply the easiest. Many of the licensing states offer DHS licenses. So be sure to do additional research to find the best fit.

For more information, contact the Colorado Department of Insurance.


*State specific rules and regulations can change. Please be sure to visit NIPR or the state’s website for the latest information.