New Portal Enabling Agent Onboarding in Minutes ⏱️ | Read about how Senior Life streamlined agent onboarding!

AgentSync State Resources

Virginia Insurance Licensing and Compliance Resources

Contact Hero Image

State License Division Information

Bureau of Insurance State Corporation Commission
P.O. Box 1157
Richmond, Virginia 23218
Phone: (804) 371-9631

Non Resident Licensing Information: Apply for an Individual Virginia Insurance License

For Carriers in Virginia

  • Drastically reduce time to sell

  • Automatically Sync active agent records with NIPR

  • Reduce time to activate Agents with seamless onboarding experience

For Agencies in Virginia

  • Import the agent record from the NIPR PDB (Producer Database) in real time

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

For MGAs/MGUs in Virginia

  • Let technology help manage your distribution channel with contracting, licensing, appointments, & compliance solutions.

  • Basic setup completed in days, not months

  • Submit appointments in a few clicks


Depending on what type of insurance agent you want to be or what types of policies you need to sell, you will need to choose what type or types of insurance licenses you need to get. After you’ve determined which licenses you need, it’s time to begin studying for the Virginia insurance exams. The next step after completing all of your pre-license coursework or self-study is to take the insurance exam. You will take one exam for each line of insurance you wish to carry. Life, Accident, & Health (LA&H) and Property & Casualty (P&C) lines are combined lines in Virginia, so you will take two exams if you wish to attain all of these lines of authority.

After passing your exams, you must obtain a Criminal History Record Report through the Virginia State Police. Once you have completed your exams and initiated your background check, you are now ready to apply for your license. If you have more than one line of authority that you have passed the exam for, be sure to apply for all of those lines. Once you have submitted your application and have filled all the other requirements, your license application will be reviewed by the state. Your background check initiated by the application will also be reviewed.

The State of Virginia does not offer a Resident Insurance Adjuster License and does not require a license to practice insurance claims adjusting within the state.

In the state of Virginia, licenses will have a renewal date based on your birth month and odd/even year of birth. In turn, the state requires that resident individual licensees who have two or more license types complete twenty-four (24) credit hours of continuing education every two-year renewal period. At least eight (8) hours must be applicable to each license type you hold.

To keep your perpetual insurance license active, complete your continuing education requirements and pay your continuance fee by November 30 of every even-numbered year. You can renew your license through NIPR. AgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

Non-residents are exempt from additional annuity requirements if they have already completed “substantially similar” training in their home state. Non-resident producers are eligible for compliance based on reciprocity between the laws of Virginia and all other states. Non-residents must submit a continued education (CE) documentation filing fee to the CE administrator by November 30th.

Non-resident agents selling partnership LTC must comply with the Virginia training requirement. Non-resident renewals can renew your license through NIPR. AgentSync can also help with the renewal process. There is a fee of $10 to renew your license.

Both resident and nononresident Public Adjusters must submit an electronic renewal application along with the nonrefundable renewal application processing fee every two years from the issue date of the Public Adjuster license. Any Public Adjuster license for which the required renewal application and nonrefundable renewal application processing fee has not been received by the Bureau will automatically be terminated

A non-resident adjuster who is CE compliant in his or her home state is considered to have satisfied the CE requirement for Virginia.

There is an $10 fee to renew your non-resident adjuster license. Your Utah adjuster license can be renewed online through an application on NIPR’s website.

A nononresident applicant must be currently licensed or otherwise authorized as a public adjuster and in good standing in his or her home state. Visit Virginia’s State Corporate Commission Website if you have any questions.

Virginia is one of 16 states that do not license insurance adjusters. This means you can legally adjust claims in your state without a license, but only in said state.

To adjust in the state of Virginia, you will need to obtain a Designated Home State (DHS) license. You will go through that state’s (Virginia or otherwise) licensing process, testing, and compliance regulations and their license will act as your resident, or home state license.

If youre looking to become an insurance adjuster in a non-licensing state like Virginia, the Florida 70-20 DHS License is the next best thing for the following reasons:
The state offers the quickest turnaround time after you submit your documents.
The Florida 70-20 license is reciprocal with most states.
A Florida DHS license is good for 4 years.

This is not to say this is the only way to obtain a DHS license, it is simply the easiest. Many of the licensing states offer DHS licenses. So be sure to do additional research to find the best fit.

For more information, contact the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC).


*State specific rules and regulations can change. Please be sure to visit NIPR or the state’s website for the latest information.