New Portal Enabling Agent Onboarding in Minutes ⏱️ | Read about how Senior Life streamlined agent onboarding!

AgentSync State Resources

South Dakota Insurance Licensing and Compliance Resources

Contact Hero Image

State License Division Information

South Dakota Division of Insurance
124 S. Euclid Avenue 2nd Floor
Pierre, South Dakota 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3513
Fax: (605) 773-5369

Non Resident Licensing Information: South Dakota Division of Insurance Non-Resident Producer Information

For Carriers in South Dakota

  • Drastically reduce time to sell

  • Automatically Sync active agent records with NIPR

  • Reduce time to activate Agents with seamless onboarding experience

For Agencies in South Dakota

  • Import the agent record from the NIPR PDB (Producer Database) in real time

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

For MGAs/MGUs in South Dakota

  • Let technology help manage your distribution channel with contracting, licensing, appointments, & compliance solutions.

  • Basic setup completed in days, not months

  • Submit appointments in a few clicks


Depending on what type of insurance agent you want to be or what types of policies you need to sell, you will need to choose what type or types of insurance licenses you need to get. After you’ve determined which licenses you need, it’s time to begin studying for the South Dakota insurance exams. The next step after completing all of your pre-exam coursework or self-study is to take the insurance exam. You will take one exam for each combined line of insurance you wish to carry.

Once you have completed your exams, you are now ready to apply for your license. If you have more than one line of authority that you have passed the exam for, be sure to apply for all of those lines. Once you have submitted your application and have filled all the other requirements, your license application will be reviewed by the state. Your background check initiated by the application will also be reviewed.

The state of South Dakota does not offer a Resident Insurance Adjuster License and does not require a license to practice insurance claims adjusting within the state.

In South Dakota, insurance licenses expire every two years, or “biennially on the last day of your birth month. The state requires that most resident individual licensees complete ten (10) credit hours of continuing education per license qualification every two-year licensing period.

For instance, if you carry a qualification of Life & Health only, you must complete ten (10) credit hours, but if you hold qualifications in both Life & Health and Property & Casualty, you must complete a total of twenty (20) credit hours during your licensing period.

After you have completed your continuing education and you are within 90 days of your license expiration, you may renew your South Dakota license online via the National Insurance Producer Registry. AgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

There is a fee of $25 to renew your license in South Dakota.

To obtain a non-resident producer license you must be licensed and in good standing in your home state as a resident producer. The South Dakota Division of Insurance will verify your licensing status, lines of authority, continuing education (CE) compliance, and any prior administrative actions via NIPR prior to issuing any non-resident producer license or renewal document therein.

South Dakota does not accept paper filings and no longer sends out a paper license.  AgentSync can help with the renewal process.

South Dakota does not charge a fee to amend an existing license. However, reinstatement fees range from $30 – $50. The cost to print a license is $5.50.

South Dakota non-resident adjuster license renewal is required of all license-holders every two (2) years before the expiration date. Residents of states that award non-resident adjuster licenses to residents of Oregon are eligible to apply for non-resident adjuster licenses in Oregon on reciprocal basis.

There are no continuing education requirements in South Dakota. In turn, non-resident applicants must be licensed for the same license type and lines of authority to be eligible for online submission. Additionally, Non-Resident Adjusters in South Dakota are only required to complete the Continuing Education (CE) requirements of their DHS.

For more information, contact the South Dakota Division of Insurance.

South Dakota is one of 16 states that do not license insurance adjusters. This means you can legally adjust claims in your state without a license, but only in said state.

To adjust in the state of South Dakota, you will need to obtain a Designated Home State (DHS) license. You will go through that state’s (South Dakota or otherwise) licensing process, testing, and compliance regulations and their license will act as your resident, or home state license.

If youre looking to become an insurance adjuster in a non-licensing state like South Dakota, the Florida 70-20 DHS License is the next best thing for the following reasons:
The state offers the quickest turnaround time after you submit your documents.
The Florida 70-20 license is reciprocal with most states.
A Florida DHS license is good for 4 years.

This is not to say this is the only way to obtain a DHS license, it is simply the easiest. Many of the licensing states offer DHS licenses. So be sure to do additional research to find the best fit.

For more information, contact the South Dakota Division of Insurance.

*State specific rules and regulations can change. Please be sure to visit NIPR or the state’s website for the latest information.