New Portal Enabling Agent Onboarding in Minutes ⏱️ | Read about how Senior Life streamlined agent onboarding!

AgentSync State Resources

Tennessee Insurance Licensing and Compliance Resources

Contact Hero Image

State License Division Information

Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
Insurance Division
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
Phone: (615) 741-2693

Non Resident Licensing Information: Tennessee NIPR Paper Licensing

For Carriers in Tennessee

  • Drastically reduce time to sell

  • Automatically Sync active agent records with NIPR

  • Reduce time to activate Agents with seamless onboarding experience

For Agencies in Tennessee

  • Import the agent record from the NIPR PDB (Producer Database) in real time

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

For MGAs/MGUs in Tennessee

  • Let technology help manage your distribution channel with contracting, licensing, appointments, & compliance solutions.

  • Basic setup completed in days, not months

  • Submit appointments in a few clicks


Depending on what type of insurance agent you want to be or what types of policies you need to sell, you will need to choose what type or types of insurance licenses you need to get. After you’ve determined which licenses you need, you must now take your Tennessee insurance pre-license education courses. The next step after completing all of your pre-license coursework or self-study is to take the insurance exam. You will take one exam for each line of insurance you wish to carry. After you have completed all of your required pre-licensing education, the next step is to apply for your license.

Tennessee requires that all insurance license applications provide fingerprints prior to licensing. Giving your fingerprints will initiate a background check. If you have any prior misdemeanors or felonies, this may affect the outcome of your licensing efforts. Once you have submitted your application and passed your exams, your license application will be reviewed by the state. If you have more than one line of authority that you have taken the education for, be sure to apply for all of those lines. Your background check will also be reviewed.

For more information, call the Tennessee Department of Insurance at (615) 741-2693 or email the department.

The State of Tennessee does not offer a Resident Insurance Adjuster License and does not require a license to practice insurance claims adjusting within the state.

Resident producer licenses renew every two years based on the producer’s birth month. No pre-licensing education is required to obtain a resident license in South Dakota. As of January 1, 2018, the Division contracted with Pearson VUE to conduct examinations.

Additionally, the State of Tennessee requires that resident individual licensees complete twenty-four (24) credit hours of continuing education per renewal period. Three (3) of those hours of which must be in the subject of ethics or consumer protection.

After you have completed your continuing education and you are within 45 days of your license expiration, you may renew your Tennessee insurance license online via the National Insurance Producer RegistryAgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

Tennessee is reciprocal in its licensing of non-residents. Under a reciprocity agreement, Tennessee offers producers licensed in your state the same privileges in Tennessee that match those that your state offers Tennessee producers, thus making the process very easy.

All non-resident producer licenses renew every two years based on the producer’s birth month. Non-residents file current home state certification for a fee of $50. AgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

A license shall remain in effect for a period of two years. Nononresident public adjuster licensees who have met the continuing education requirements in their home state and whose home state gives credit to residents of this state on the same basis are not required to complete continuing education in TN.

There is an $100 fee to renew your Tennessee adjuster license.

For more information, contact the Department of Commerce and Insurance (TDCI).

Tennessee is one of 16 states that do not license insurance adjusters. This means you can legally adjust claims in your state without a license, but only in said state.

To adjust in the state of Tennessee, you will need to obtain a Designated Home State (DHS) license. You will go through that state’s (Tennessee or otherwise) licensing process, testing, and compliance regulations and their license will act as your resident, or home state license.

If youre looking to become an insurance adjuster in a non-licensing state like Tennessee, the Florida 70-20 DHS License is the next best thing for the following reasons:
The state offers the quickest turnaround time after you submit your documents.
The Florida 70-20 license is reciprocal with most states.
A Florida DHS license is good for 4 years.

This is not to say this is the only way to obtain a DHS license, it is simply the easiest. Many of the licensing states offer DHS licenses. So be sure to do additional research to find the best fit.

For more information, contact the Department of Commerce and Insurance (TDCI).

*State specific rules and regulations can change. Please be sure to visit NIPR or the state’s website for the latest information.