New Portal Enabling Agent Onboarding in Minutes ⏱️ | Read about how Senior Life streamlined agent onboarding!

AgentSync State Resources

Kansas Insurance Licensing and Compliance Resources

Contact Hero Image

State License Division Information

Kansas Insurance Department
Attn: Producers Division
420 Southwest 9th Street
Topeka Kansas, 66612
Phone: (785) 296-7862
Fax: (785) 368-7019

Non Resident Licensing Information:
Non-Resident Agency Licensing Requirements

For Carriers in Kansas

  • Drastically reduce time to sell

  • Automatically Sync active agent records with NIPR

  • Reduce time to activate Agents with seamless onboarding experience

For Agencies in Kansas

  • Import the agent record from the NIPR PDB (Producer Database) in real time

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

  • Daily change updates synced directly with NIPR

For MGAs/MGUs in Kansas

  • Let technology help manage your distribution channel with contracting, licensing, appointments, & compliance solutions.

  • Basic setup completed in days, not months

  • Submit appointments in a few clicks


Depending on what type of insurance agent you want to be or what types of policies you need to sell, you will need to choose what type or types of insurance licenses you need to get. The first step in getting your insurance license in Kansas is to apply for your license. After you’ve determined which licenses you need, it’s time to begin studying for the Kansas insurance exams. The next step after completing all of your pre-license coursework or self-study is to take the insurance exam. You will take one exam for each line of insurance you wish to carry. Life, Accident, & Health (LA&H) and Property & Casualty (P&C) lines are combined lines in Kansas, so you will take two exams if you wish to attain all of these lines of authority.

Kansas requires that all insurance license applicants provide fingerprints prior to licensing. Giving your fingerprints will initiate a background check. If you have any prior misdemeanors or felonies, this may affect the outcome of your licensing efforts. Once you have submitted your application and have filled all the other requirements, your license application will be reviewed by the state. Your background check initiated by the application will also be reviewed.

The State of Kansas does not offer a Resident Insurance Adjuster License and does not require a license to practice insurance claims adjusting within the state.

In Kansas, insurance licenses expire every two years on your date of birth. There is no requirement to take another exam from the state, but The State of Kansas requires that resident individual licensees complete twelve (12) credit hours for the Life and/or Health line of authority and twelve (12) credit hours for the Property and/or Casualty line of authority every two-year renewal period.  For each line of authority, at least one (1) of those hours must be in the subject of ethics or consumer protection.

If you have a producer license in more than one line of authority (ex. Property & Casualty and Life & Health), you do need to complete double the hours.

You may take your continuing education courses either in person in a classroom setting or online as a self-paced course. The online courses usually require a reading of the subject at hand, then a test at the end.

Upon completion of these courses, the company who you took the course from should send the certificate of completion directly to the state. You may want to print a copy of this certificate to keep in your records just in case there is a dispute later.

After you have completed your continuing education and you are within 90 days of your license expiration, you may renew your Kansas insurance license online by using the Kansas Insurance Producer Desktop or the Kansas State Information Center Insurance Licensing Search and Renewal tool.  AgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

There is a fee of $90 per application to renew your license.

If this is the state you reside in, then renewing your license will also keep any non-resident license you have in good standing. You will still need to pay the license renewal fee for non-resident licenses held in other states.

There is a fee of $90 per application to renew your license.

AgentSync can also help with the renewal process.

In Kansas, an Independent Adjuster license is effective for two (2) years, expiring on the last day of the agents birth month. Renewal deadline is the last day of the licensee’s birth-month in even-numbered years if born in an even year, or odd-numbered years if born in an odd year and may be submitted 6 months prior to the deadline.

Nononresident applicants are required to hold a Public Adjusters license in their designated home state. Additionally, non-resident adjusters who have met Continuing Education (CE) compliance requirements in their resident state or designated home state’s CE requirement are exempt here.

There is a $100 license renewal fee (resident & non-resident). You can renew your license through NIPR.

For more information, contact the Kansas Department of Insurance.

Kansas is one of 16 states that do not license insurance adjusters. This means you can legally adjust claims in your state without a license, but only in said state.

To adjust in the state of Kansas, you will need to obtain a Designated Home State (DHS) license. You will go through that state’s (Kansas or otherwise) licensing process, testing, and compliance regulations and their license will act as your resident, or home state license.

If youre looking to become an insurance adjuster in a non-licensing state like Kansas, the Florida 70-20 DHS License is the next best thing for the following reasons:
The state offers the quickest turnaround time after you submit your documents.
The Florida 70-20 license is reciprocal with most states.
A Florida DHS license is good for 4 years.
Once you have your DHS adjuster license, you can (and should) apply for reciprocal licenses so you can work in more states, making you more attractive to potential employers.

This is not to say this is the only way to obtain a DHS license, it is simply the easiest. Many of the licensing states offer DHS licenses. So be sure to do additional research to find the best fit.

For more information, contact the Kansas Department of Insurance.


*State specific rules and regulations can change. Please be sure to visit NIPR or the state’s website for the latest information.